What if asking for ideas is a bad idea?
In this episode, I share Chapter 3 from Best Practices are Stupid. In it, we explore why looking for a quantity of ideas can be the downfall of your innovation efforts.
You will hear:
- How several companies started with idea-driven innovation programs that led to the demise of their innovation efforts
- Why the signal-to-noise ratio might be one of the most important measures to consider for innovation
- The three categories of ideas, and why suggestion boxes lead to a lot of duds
- Why idea programs can be useful for PR or for getting people on-board with innovation, but not for ROI
- The behind-the-scenes story of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill innovation efforts
This episode provides one of the cornerstones of my work. In the next Best Practices are Stupid episode, we will go even deeper when we explore why you don’t want to think outside the box.